From September 11-23, 2011 the associate professor of DU Institute of Sustainable Education Inga Belousa participated in the international summer school “Implementation of Sustainability into Research and Teaching of Higher Education Institutions in Eastern Europe” which was held in Lüneburg, Germany. The summer school was organised by the Institute for Environmental and Sustainability Communication (INFU) of the Leuphana University Lüneburg and UNESCO Chair "Higher Education for Sustainable Development".
25 university lecturers, further educators, administrators, legislators and representatives of professional associations in the field of higher education from 15 Central and Eastern European countries were invited to the summer school. In the course of ten days, expert presentations, discussions, experience exchange and sharing of success stories were organised.
The successfully chosen summer school topic allowed for evaluation of the issue of how universities can actively face up to the challenges associated with sustainable development, and to what extent targeted structural changes can contribute to transforming universities for sustainability and how a small university can survive and confirm its identity on the global scale.
Some of the key issues explored:
• Universities as teaching, learning and living environments for sustainable development: contributions of educational institutions to promote sustainable societal development;
• Implementation of sustainability-oriented teaching: challenges for curricular mainstreaming; content-related, methodological and structural challenges for different target groups;
• Sustainability research: interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research approaches and methods;
• Sustainability-oriented cooperation between science and practice: challenges (interface management and knowledge integration); efficiency measurement and evaluation;
• Approaches to academic institutionalization of sustainability: management systems, indicator sets, benchmark systems, approaches to organizational change.
One of the activities of the summer school was participation in the 4th international UNESCO Chair conference “Higher Education for Sustainable Development” held on September 14-16, 2011 (http://www.leuphana.de/institute/infu/unesco-chair/conferences-2011.html).
DU FEM ISE
t.: 654 28636
inga.belousa [at] du.lv