On October 29-31, the professors of the Institute of Sustainable Education Ilga Salīte and Anita Pipere participated in the fifth World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE 2010), which was held in Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha (Qatar). For profesor Salīte it was her fifth time attending this important international convention.
The World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE) was established by Qatar Foundation in 2009 under the patronage of its Chairperson, Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. WISE is an international, multi-sectoral platform for creative thinking, debate and purposeful action in order to build the future of education through innovation. WISE is now an ongoing initiative and a global reference in new approaches to education. Through both the annual Summit and a range of continuing programs WISE is promoting collaboration and building the future of education.
This year more than 1200 prominent education, corporate, political and social leaders from over 100 countries took part in three days of debate, dialog and networking.
The theme of this year was Reinventing Education for Life, exploring how innovation can close the gap between education, learning and life.
Some of the most interesting issues discussed during the Summit:
- Reinventing Education for Life (opening plenary session);
- Bringing Learning to Life (with special address of Dr. E.Morin (France));
- STEM for All (focus session);
- Educating at the Extreme: Education Above All (special plenary session);
- What if Finland’s Great Teachers Taught in Your Shools? (focus session);
- Can We Have Education Without Teachers? (WISE Debates);
- Bringing learning to Life (with special address of The Hon. Ms. Julia Gillard (Australia)).
The participants from ISE used the opportunity to engage in productive discussions during the Summit’s workshops, other events, networking both in person and electronically.
To learn more about the events of WISE 2013 and WISE Awards, please visit www.wise-qatar.org
Supported by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) project "Promotion of international scientific cooperation of Daugavpils University" (No. 2010/0194/2DP/220.127.116.11.0/10/APIA/VIAA/018).